Sunday, June 19, 2011

Scrapbook On The Road

When I was a little girl, we went on a vacation every summer. Some years, we would take off the last few days of school and other times they were scheduled a little later in June, but my parents made our vacation a priority. Our vacations weren't extravagant---we usually camped somewhere for a week or two---but we had the opportunity to visit far away relatives, spend time outdoors, fish, swim, and see sights that we never would otherwise seen.

My earliest vacation memories involve a pop-up camper and big, thick sleeping bags. As the years progressed, we upgraded to a mobile trailer and finally to a Winnebago motor home. With 4 children, I imagine that packing for these trips must have been a challenge for my mother. But, I remember each of us getting a brown paper bag with our name written on it with a magic marker to pack the clothes that we needed for the trip. (I don't think any of us had any luggage until we graduated from high school)

In addition, we each got a composition notebook in which we were to write each day's events in each evening.


There were times that this seemed like homework to me and I didn't want to do it, but I see now that my mother was encouraging us to document our lives in ways that would be meaningful. (I'm pretty sure that I didn't see a bunny or even a rainbow on this tip to California, but when you're 4 years old . . . Callie I think I see where you got your amazing art abilities.)


All along the trip, we would save memorabilia to paste in our books--postcards, a straw paper from that yummy milk shake or the paper place mat used at a diner. (remember when Holiday Inns looked like this?)


I've never been a journal/diary keeper, but I now find myself wanting to record more than just a photo or two. Though I usually try to assemble a photo album once I return from vacation, this year I'm trying something new. A few months ago, I signed up for Ali Edwards' Scrapbook On The Road class . This was a great class for a very reasonable price and I finished totally inspired to make one for my upcoming vacation to Yosemite. This weekend, I completed my album, so here some photos of how it looks before the vacation begins.

I used a variety of pieces from my "stash" that I don't have the source for, but here are the things that I can credit:

Bobunny timepiece Die cut

Hambly Screen Prints overlays

Tim Holtz ideo-ology collection

Teresa Collins travel ledger

Rebeccas Sower Nostalgiques stickers

Jenni Bowlin Studio papers

(****I'm linking up to Sandy's Challenge #4 ****)

This was so fun! I can't wait to make one for Dan and to begin recording my adventure!

post signature

Be First to Post Comment !
JJB said...

How cool that you were able to find your childhood scrapbooks! I love the editing that Momo added to clarify your version of the story!!

Sandy Ang said...

The album looks wonderful. bet it'll be fantastic once you fill it with your Yosemite photos.
Love it if you came and linked it up to my challenge here http://angsandy.blogspot.com/2011/06/sandys-challenge-4.html

Anonymous said...

You will LOVE Yosemite. We spent several days there with our kids when they were in high school. Two years ago we managed a brief second visit. What a gorgeous place, and what a gorgeous album you have to record your visit!

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature