Monday, March 24, 2014

Gardening 101, Continued

After a trip to Lowe's this morning in my grubby clothes and not-so-clean hair, I was ready to plant.  In addition to a few flowers to freshen up my front flower in the new veggie garden, brought home a few tomato plants to go with the vegetable seeds I already owned.

Did you know that plants have best friends?  I didn't, but it certainly makes sense.  This website has a list of lots of different plants and the best companions to plant nearby.  I'm hopeful that following a few of these rules will eliminate the need for pesticides or other chemicals.  I've started by planting marigolds throughout the bed, but will also have several different herbs (mainly basil, rosemary and thyme) nearby.

I made a few adjustments to my original planting grid once I realized that the area was not quite as long as I remembered----I guess it would have been helpful to measure it again first, but you know, that's not the way I usually roll.  Here's my new plot--I took out the broccoli since I haven't been able to find any seeds or plants yet.  Once the seeds begin to sprout, I will need to thin them out a bit and provide some sort of trellis along the fence for those beans and peas to climb.  (I will plant the green beans and asparagus tomorrow since the seeds have to soak overnight in warm water).

Emmi is used to running through this bed at will--particularly when trying to get away from Joy.
Therefore, I decided to put up some small fencing at each end (which is how she usually jumps in and runs).  I'm hopeful that this will deter both of them from messing with things, but I have more fencing I can put up along the front, if necessary.

I made a few adjustments to my original planting grid, once I realized that the area was not quite as long as I remembered----I guess it would have been helpful to measure it again first, but you know, that's not the way I usually roll.

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature