Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Waiting For Baby Dean--A Room Tour

Callie's due date is fast approaching now.  Despite all the worry about him possibly arriving early, he's decided to take his own sweet time about it after all and  looks like he'll be right on time.  As Jana said, "We're on his time-table now"!

Over the last few months, I've had the joy of helping get things ready in his room.  As soon as they learned that the baby would be a boy, Callie and I went shopping to pick out fabrics.  She used this color palette as her inspiration.
We found all the fabrics at Hobby Lobby and using their coupons made things quite affordable.
Jordan's parents helped him paint the room a pretty teal color and they trimmed it all with white woodwork.  The floors were already painted wood, but they freshened them up with a pretty gray paint.  Once it was finished, even Toby liked it.  Jordan also installed the new ceiling fan.
Once they had the crib, I made several fitted sheets using these directions on Pinterest.  I also made an adjustable crib skirt out of navy fabric and covers for the changing cushion using these directions (not seen in this photo).
Jordan painted and distressed an old cabinet that belonged to my parents for use as a changing table.  It turned out wonderful!!  Here is the before (in my old computer room--geez, that was an ugly room):
And here it is after he finished with it.
Callie and I spent one day searching for baskets to go into the open space to hold diapers, lotion, wipes, etc..  Not finding anything she liked that was affordable, we decided to make our own.  We literally MADE the boxes the size she needed.
Spray-painted them silver (so that the writing would not show through)
And then covered them with gray burlap using spray adhesive.
Callie hemmed the edges of some cute fabric and I used the adhesive to line the boxes.
Once she got them home, Jordan helped her apply grommets and rope handles.  
I used the Alphabet print fabric to make valances for the windows.
You may remember that I found a cute rocking chair on my trip to Round Top in the spring. Okay, so maybe it wasn't so cute when I found it, but I could see its potential!
Jordan and Callie took off all the old fabric and painted it to match the changing table.  Then, Callie and I took apart the cushions and discovered that the foam pieces inside were a crumbly mess.  Emmi liked them, however.
Using the old cushions as a pattern, we carefully made new navy blue cushions, complete with piped trim.  They turned out great and the chair is so cute!
One of the last sewing projects for the room was the mobile I made.  I used wool felt (that comes in such pretty colors) to make the letters of the alphabet, to coordinate with the valance fabric.   
It is a large mobile that I thought would be neat hanging in their "reading corner" rather than over the bed.  Here's a final "nursery tour", via Callie's iPhone:
The room is ready.     The diaper bag is packed.   Won't you come on out and let us hold you, baby Dean?!?!






Be First to Post Comment !
JJB said...

Yay! So cute! Can't wait to see it in person! Come on, Baby Luke!

Vanessa said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! Great job

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature