Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent

December Details 2014 - Day 14 - ADVENT
When I was a little girl, one of our favorite traditions was opening the doors of our ADVENT calendar each day.  We used the same paper calendar every year (I wish I still had it) and we each tried to guess what picture would be revealed behind the closed door.  When I had children of my own, we used an ADVENT calendar that had paper blocks to be turned over each day, counting down the days until Christmas. (I do still have that one, although it is in pretty rough shape).  I love ADVENT calendars.  I even have a Pinterest Board to collect ideas for them.  

I attend a Methodist church here in town--the same one I've gone to for most of my life.  In the Methodist church, we celebrate ADVENT during the month of December.  Last year, I remember Ron questioning that focus, since he was raised in a different denomination and knew it wasn't something that was "from the Bible".  That question allowed me the opportunity to figure out why indeed I enjoyed the tradition of ADVENT.  Beyond the fact that my church does it, and I just go along, I knew that it meant more than that to me.  

In the dictionary, the word ADVENT is defined as: the arrival of a notable person, thing, or event.   In Christian theology, it is further defined as the coming of Christ and each week of ADVENT, the focus is on a different element:  Hope, Peace, Joy and Love.  As a child, we always had an ADVENT wreath in our home and we read the scriptures as we lit the candle each week.  (I couldn't wait until I was old enough to hold the matches and light the candle myself)!   Certainly, Christ comes without the custom of ADVENT or the ADVENT wreath, but I find that it is a way of preparing my heart for Christ;  to be more intentional about focusing on the meaning of Christmas beyond Christmas trees and presents.  

What arrival are you awaiting?  
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature