Wednesday, March 11, 2015

For The Love

Sometime back in the summer, I read a post by Jen Hatmaker about the new edition of her book Interrupted.  I had never read any of her books, but had heard a lot about her books from both Callie and Jana, and I had begun following her blog a few months back.  I loved her writing on the blog, and the description of the book sounded like something I would really enjoy.  I even asked a few friends to join me in the online book study that Jen talked about leading in the fall, thinking that would make me more accountable to the reading.   I downloaded the book, but the online study never materialized, so I pretty much forgot about the book.

Then, last month I flew out to South Carolina to visit my new grandson and prepared to download a book to read on the plane.   I'm so busy on a daily basis that I don't make much time for regular reading, so traveling provides me with a block of time to get a little reading done. It was then that I remembered Interrupted and decided to read it first---or at least try to read it.   I'm not a fast reader and tend to a be a little ADD, so I need things to be fairly entertaining to keep me engaged.

I should not have worried about this book keeping my attention.  Can I just say that I.LOVED.IT!!   I found myself smiling and laughing to myself more than once (and almost laughed out loud at one point on the airplane).  But, mostly, I found myself nodding my head.  Yes!!  Someone had actually been able to find words for things that I've never been able to articulate.  As one book reviewer (Karen Lee-Thorp) observed, "Jen Hatmaker is just crazy enough to actually do things Jesus talks about in the Bible, even though it's messing up her middle-class Christian life."

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it ever since, and want to read it again---with a group of friends this time and I'm making plans to do just that.

But, in the meantime, something kind of exciting happened.  Last week, Jen blogged about the upcoming release of her newest book,  For The Love.  You can see that blog post right here.  Instead of the kind of launch that involves reviews by professional authors and bloggers and such, she decided to launch this particular book with a group of ordinary women from all over the United States and gave people a chance to apply to be part of the team.  Fairly certain that I didn't stand a chance of being chosen since I'd only read one of her books and don't really have a very large-reaching blogging audience, I decided on a whim to go ahead and apply.  I mean, it couldn't hurt, could it?

Well, yesterday, I got an email letting me know that I'd been selected to be part of the Launch Team!!   I'm pretty excited!!!! The book is still in draft form right now, and the official launch won't be until the middle of February, but it is already available for preorder on Amazon here and on Barnes and Noble here if you are interested.  I can't wait to read this new book and explore the idea of grace through Jen Hatmaker's perspective.
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature