Sunday, March 1, 2015

This weekend, we traveled up to Little Rock for the big race.  We've been registered for months and somehow it sounded lots more appealing when we signed up back in October.  On the heels of a southern ice storm, the thought of running a long distance was not quite as appealing.  There was still a good bit of snow on the ground on the way up to Little Rock.
We picked up our packets Saturday afternoon and we greeted by lots of pirates and even a mermaid.
We knew it was going to cold, and we'd been checking the weather forecast all week, but we were all hoping that Sunday morning would arrive with the absence of moisture.  Cold is one thing.   Cold and wet is quite another!!

At first, it looked like the weather would hold out for us.  It actually was not quite as cold as our last race in Jackson (which was down in the 20's).  This time, the temperatures hovered just over freezing at the start of the race, but it wasn't raining and we were thrilled.
Team Luke was ready to go (Becky decided not to do the race and was keeping Luke).

We were assigned to corrals by our estimated finish times, so naturally, I was near the back.  I had decided to do the 10K rather than the half marathon.  I've found that it is still a bit of a challenge for me, but doesn't seem to pose the potential for injuries, so that's what I signed up for.  Ron, Callie, Jordan and Dennis all ran the half marathon.
The rain held off until just before mile 2, I warmed up once I started running, and fortunately it never poured down.  But, the drizzle continued throughout the entire race. Once I finished my race, I came back to the finish line to wait for the others.  It was SOOO cold once I stopped.  Callie was the first from our group through the finish line!  She completed her very first half marathon in great time!
Jordan and Dennis were next, and then Ron (who had some kneed problems along the way.
While the race was cold and wet, the very worst part of the whole experience was waiting for our gear bags that had been checked prior to the race.  I waited in line in the cold rain for longer than it took me to run the race!
And one of the best parts???   Stopping for a post-race lunch on the way home!!

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature