Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Canton Treasures

One of my favorite ways to usher in the fall season is with a trip to Canton, TX for the First Monday market.  It's become an annual tradition for Valine and I and something that we look forward to for months.   This year was certainly no exception.  I guess that school has been in session just long enough for me to really need a break and being outdoors on a beautiful day is just what the doctor ordered.

Valine came up on Friday and we did a little shopping in Shreveport before driving over to Kilgore for the night.   Let's face it: being an hour down the road the next morning is definitely an advantage. After checking into our hotel, we got some suggestions from the front desk clerk for some picturesque buildings to photograph for one of my photography prompts.  I was in search of a country church, but we never really found one.   We did find a couple of others and while they didn't work for my prompt this week, it was still fun to be "on the hunt".
We walked over to Chili's for dinner and even enjoyed an adult beverage---something I rarely indulge in.  Can you guess whose was whose??

Saturday, ended up being a nearly perfect day at Canton.  The weather was absolutely beautiful!! When we arrived, there were already so many people there that we had to park way out in the boonies---a first for us.  After getting our carts out and ready, Valine locked the car up . . . or at least attempted to lock it.  Repeatedly.   We examined the doors, the locks, the buttons,  . . . but still no luck.  THEN, she realized . . . the car was still running.   ;-)  

It was cool enough for a light jacket in the morning.
By noon, however, I had shed the jacket and enjoyed the sunshine and gentle breeze while perusing the variety of interesting goods.
Unfortunately, I experienced a "wardrobe malfunction" late in the day, requiring me to don my jacket again until we reached the car.   As we walked along through the booths, I suddenly felt a "pop" from the clasp of my very favorite, front-hook bra!   Thinking at first that it had somehow come unhooked, Valine shielded me while I attempted to re-fasten the silly thing.  Instead, the whole hook just fell off in my hand!!   Luckily, there are no photos to document that particular event and I will be returning it to the store where it was purchased!!

Neither of us were looking for anything in particular and it seems that can be a dangerous time for our pocket books.   We managed to find several fun things for ourselves and for others.    For the most part, the crowds were spread out so that we never really felt crowded.
As we loaded our booty into Valine's car, the turkey platter, that I'd found for such a bargain, slipped off of a box and fell to the ground, breaking into several pieces.  Sooo sad!

After a full day of browsing, we headed to her aunt's farm in Henderson for burgers with the family.   It was our first time to meet Pam's brand new grandson, Samuel.  What a sweetie!!   The food was great and it was so nice to relax and visit with everyone for a little while.  How lucky am I that I have been able to get to know Valine's extended family over the years and call them "friends"?!
As we left Henderson, we stopped for gas, only to be startled by a man peering into the car window and asking for help.  We were thankful that it wasn't our car that needed help this time as he used it to unsuccessfully try to jump-start their car.  After it was clear that it wasn't going to work, he thanked us and we went on our way.
While the weekend was not without its obstacles, I got to spend it with my best friend, so "Life is Good".   ;-)


Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature